General Program Requirements
The veteran must have been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
VA can pay a reimbursement only if the expenses for the funeral/burial have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source.
Generally, at least one of following additional eligibility criteria must also be met. Reimbursement is possible if the veteran:
- Died because of a service-related disability, OR
- Was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death, OR
- Was entitled to receive VA compensation, but decided not to reduce his/her military retired pay, OR
- Died in a VA hospital or while in a nursing home under VA contract, or while in an approved state nursing home, OR
- Had a claim pending at the time of death and has been found entitled to compensation or pension from a date prior to the date of death, OR
- Died while traveling, under proper authorization and at VA expense, to or from a specified place for the purpose of examination, treatment, or care.
National Guard and Reserve members who were activated for federal military service and later separated are considered to be veterans. Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are considered to be active duty members and veterans, once discharged.
Your Next Steps
The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
To apply for this program, call 1-800-827-1000 and request that form Application for Burial Benefits (VA Form 21-530) be mailed to you. Once you’ve received the form, fill it out and send it back to VA as directed on the form.
Program Contact Information
Additional information on this program may be obtained from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, at: VA Burials Docs If you have questions about this benefit or would like to speak with a benefit specialist, you can call VA at this toll-free number: 1-800-827-1000 People who are hearing impaired may call this toll-free TTY number:1-800-829-4833.